When many of us think of failure or solely the possibility of failing, we panic. Our stomach ties up in knots, our hands gets clammy, and sometimes it even feels like we’re suffering from a minor heart attack. All by all, it makes us feel hella uncomfortable and so our natural response is to prevent ourselves from experiencing this discomfort failure brings along. The only problem is: in order to be great, we have to grow through failure. Read that again:
In order to be great, we have to grow through failure.
And some of the greatest agree as they too have failed many times. From Serena Williams to J.K. Rowling. Let’s see what they have to say about failures.
- “You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.”
- “You have to get comfortable with failure. You have to actually SEEK failure. failure is where all of the lessons are.” – Will Smith
- “The phoenix must burn to emerge.” ― Janet Fitch
- “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”
- “If you look at the artists, if they get really good, it always occurs to them at some point that they can do this one thing for the rest of their lives, and they can be really successful to the outside world but not really be successful to themselves. That’s the moment that an artist really decides who he or she is. If they keep on risking failure, they’re still artists.” – Steve Jobs
- “Failure is a greater teacher than success” ― Clarissa Pinkola Estés
- “There is a lot of joy to be found in reflecting upon your experiences as you work towards your dreams. Learn to laugh at your failures, smile at your wins and don’t be afraid to laugh at yourself.” – Denzel Washington
- “Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th.” – Julie Andrews
- “Failure is so important. We speak about success all the time. It is the ability to resist failure or use failure that often leads to greater success. I’ve met people who don’t want to try for fear of failing.” ― J.K. Rowling
- “You learn more in failure than you ever do in success.” – Jay-Z
- “I really think a champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall. I have fallen several times. Each time I just get up and dust myself off and I pray, and I’m able to do better or I’m able to get back to the level that I want to be on.” – Serenity Williams
“If you’re too weak to handle failure and disappointment, then you’re too weak to handle success, which will only end up damaging your life and happiness.” – Kevin Hart